Please sign in to post.

Booking Train tickets

Hi ,
We are travelling to Austria in April visiting Vienna,Salzburg and Innsbruck.We will be travelling from Vienna to Salzburg and Innsbruck there on by train.I checked up the OBB website for the ticket fares.The rates are about 19 euros for an adult which seems quite reasonable.

My questions are as follows:

1. I read that children below 15 can travel free. We are a group of 8 people 5 adults (above 18 of course) and 3 children (one is aged 12,second one is aged 13 and the third one is 17 years of age) Do I need to book for the 2 kids who are below 14 years of age? 2.Since we are more than 6 people ,are group tickets cheaper than Sparschiene tickets?

Regards,

Posted by
4517 posts

You need tickets for the children. They won't cost anything as long as at least two adults are booked on the same itinerary. I doubt the group ticket will be as cheap as the Sparschiene.

Posted by
16893 posts

In most countries of Europe, only children under 4 travel without a ticket. And group discounts are often for 10 or more, which is a size I do see mentioned on the web site. Since it looks like you can't enter all 8 people into the shopping cart at once, enter them in the groups who will definitely stick together - the right kids with the right adults.

Posted by
1902 posts

I guess that your group is too small for a group fare which can beat the the Sparschiene ticket. If you all want to sit together in the car, a seat reservation is strongly advised as early as possible.