Please sign in to post.

bike tours?

My husband and I would like to bike the Danube. We were going to plan and do on our own but wanted to also look for recommendations for companies that do this. Looks a lot more complicated to do on our own but don't want to break the bank on this either. thanks!

Posted by
2267 posts

I have no idea about their offerings along the Danube, but Backroads and Duvine are the bigger players in the bike tour space. Mac's Adventures has some, too. I've always seen lots of small, local companies advertising in the back of the larger bicycling magazines. (Maybe look around the publications' websites...?

Posted by
2267 posts

Oh, and take a look at Santana Adventures. I've heard they do a really good job.

Posted by
7330 posts

We didn’t use a tour company way back, over 20 years ago, but back then, you could rent a great touring bike at one train station, and turn it in at another train station, simple. And hop a train with your bike, if needed. Apparently the train system got out of the bike rental business some time ago. Whether you find a tour company, or do it on your own, it’ll be a great experience! Are you thinking of pedaling upriver, as we did, or downriver?

Posted by
16190 posts

Backroads does guided tours. Their pricing seems high to me, for places I know well. I haven’t looked at their Danube tours.

Mac’s Adventures plans self-guided tours for you—accommodations, luggage transport, route maps, support, etc. We have not used them but I have corresponded with them and they seemed very knowledgeable and professional.

You might consider this company, TripSite. They specialize in bike tours, guided and self-guided, and have a number of different Danube tours on offer. Again, we have not used them, but I have corresponded with them and was impressed with their customer service. WE ended up deciding against a bicycle tour.

https://www.tripsite.com/bike-tours/danube-bike-tours/

Posted by
2207 posts

Backroads and Butterfield & Robinson are the two bike companies I see most often. These are luxury, small group touring companies. I did a B&R tour in Switzerland a couple of years ago and had an amazing time - but it can be expensive as they often book 5-star hotels. First-rate equipment, great support, and incredible riding. We always see the Backroads vans & bikes parked at the Hotel Des Indes, the best hotel in The Hague!

Not sure what type of riding you're looking to do - or how much of the Danube and where (We often biked the Wachau when living in Vienna - great ride). You might also look at Tourissimo, Explore!, Spice Roads, Intrepid, Exodus, UTracks, Cycle Europe, and ExperiencePlus! All are great companies to work with. But if you wanted to splurge, Backroads and Butterfield & Robinson are wonderful for riders of all skill levels.