Please sign in to post.

Best Sound of Music tour

I’ll be visiting Salzburg the first part of November and I’m wondering which guided tour of the Sound of Music sites is the best / most comprehensive. Any suggestions?

Posted by
7027 posts

Do a search on this forum for "SOM tours", there have been dozens of posts on this subject. Be sure to filter for the most recent 6 mos or 1 year so you get the more recent opinions.

Posted by
987 posts

Well, it’s been a few years since I went on it, but I enjoyed the Bob’s SOM tour. It was a small group in a van, the guide was good, and the van picked us up right at our hotel in old town. Just know that the tour buses, including Bobs with the van, can’t drive around to the sights that are actually in old town. There are many places in old town either from the movie or that inspired something in the movie, and you can walk to see them yourself. The tour was fun because it got me outside of Salzburg into some beautiful areas, and because it was fun to be with this group of other SOM enthusiasts.

Posted by
1220 posts

I didn't go on one while we were there but several couples in our group did the biking tour and said it was great!

Posted by
139 posts

The most comprehensive ones will need a vehicle to get to the town where the wedding was filmed. But any vehicle tour will not show you all the spots in old Salzburg, so a combo of you own your feet and a vehicle will let you see the most.