Please sign in to post.

Best District to stay in Vienna

Traveling to Vienna for a week with my family, 8 of us. My mom is 85. We plan to rent an apartment for a week the middle of September 2018. We want to be close to good transportation and close to many things. Some say stay in district 1 others say 2, I am open to any advice.
Thank you !

Posted by
1896 posts

For efficient sightseeing it is most important to be close to public transport, which is available everywhere, but being farther outside from the center the transport network is becoming less dense.

I would recommend staying in one of the so called inner boroughs (1st to 9th).

Check an address using the official on-line map of the City of Vienna: https://www.wien.gv.at/stadtplan/en/
Enter the street name (and house number if available) into the search field, and then use the check box on the left to overlay public transport lines and stops to the map. So you can figure out easily how far you have to walk to get to the next tram, bus, or subway stop. Should you want to know the distance exactly, there is a measuring tool in the top left corner of the map.

This said map is very precise and you can add a wealth of information using the check boxes on the left. I prefer it over Google Maps, although it does not display private enterprises (e.g. hotels, restaurants, etc.). It is also available as an app for smartphones.