Planning a trip to Austria for my wife's birthday. Based on a number of RS posts/recommendations I have the following early draft in mind.
- When: Early/Mid September
- Transportation considerations - Trains and Buses. Not planning to drive but will reconsider this option based on recommendations
- Enjoy scenic/outdoor activities mixed in with some museum visits. Also fond of exploring small towns and villages for "local" experience
- Walking , biking, moderate hiking
- Able to add up to 4 additional days to expand this itinerary
Day 1 - Vienna
Day 2 - Train/Bike day trip Melk to Krems and return to Vienna
Day 3 - Vienna
Day 4 - Train to St. Gilgen and ferry to St. Wolfgang - I've seen posts that say this is a day trip and others that recommend staying at St. Wolfgang and explore the lake area for 1-3 days using the local ferry. Thoughts?
Day 5 - 7 (Assuming St. Wolfgang is a 1 day trip) - Train to Salzburg ( must include a Sound of Music tour for my wife)
Day 8 - Return to Vienna (assuming this is the best airport to depart from)
Is Vienna the best airport to arrive to and depart from (convenience and cost)?
What other towns/cities would you consider a "must" to visit (perhaps Innsbruck)?
Am I planning enough days in Vienna and Salzburg?
St. Wolfgang - Day Trip or stay over for 2-3 days?
Make lodging reservations in advance?
As you can see I still have to work out the details for each location so feel free to include some of your favorite places to visit.