Please sign in to post.

Austria Itinerary

Hi,

Can I get some feedback on my trip plan?

Arrive in Vienna stay 4 nights,
Take train to Salzburg stay 3 nights,
Rent car and drive to Hallstatt, stay 2 nights,
Drive to Fussen, Germany stay 3 nights,
Drive to Innsbruck and drop car off, take train to Munich stay 1 night and fly home.

I am planning to do a bigger Germany trip in the future, we just wanted to catch a little of the Oktoberfest. I am also planning to use the car to see the Tirol while I am based in Fussen, and Innsbruck is the closest town to Fussen in Austria that I can return the car. Thanks.

Ed

Posted by
8124 posts

I've traveled this region many times since 1970 and your itinerary looks fine.

But do you really need more than 2 nights in Salzburg and 1 night in Hallstadt?
Many prefer to stay in Western Tirol rather than Fussen. Tirol is incredibly beautiful, and travel in Austria is easy as long as you obtain the car vignette. They also have an incredible number of rooms available 1/2 hour to 1 hour from Fussen.

You can easily do day trips out of the Innsbruck area. We especially like driving the Grossglockner High Alpine Road south of Zell-am-see--second highest point in Western Europe.
If you'd cut Salzburg and Hallstadt, you could spend those days in the fabulous Munich. There's just so much to see there.
And if you're interested in Oktoberfest, check out the Andechs Monastery 45 miles southwest of Munich. It's one of the premier old style beer halls that's really worth the side trip.

Posted by
20016 posts

I think if you rent the car in Austria it will already have vignette.

Posted by
31 posts

David, thanks for the advice, I will definitely check out Andechs Monastery, when we are in Fussen. We are staying an extra night in Salzburg to go to Berteschgarten and Konigsee and do some hiking. In Hallstatt we want to bike around the lake, see the salt mine and ice cave. Also we planned this a little late and the remaining rooms in Munich are $350-500/night for rooms that should be $100-200, so we will catch Munich next time.

Posted by
2902 posts

Hi Ed,

After doing 9 trips to Bavaria and Austria, you're plan sounds excellent to me. Only thing I would suggest is to get a car leaving Vienna and base in the mountain scenery near Berchtesgaden. Salzburg is an easy 30 min. drive to visit. We've spent 18 nights over 5 trips near Berchtsgaden, so we're partial to the area. Loved our 2 stays (5 nights total) in Fuessen and our 5 stays (18 nights) just outside of Innsbruck in Hall in Tirol.

www.flickr.com/photos/pjbassplyr/sets

FYI, the Grossglockner is a great drive, but it's not even close to being the 2nd highest drive or peak in Europe. This misinformation has been posted over and over.

Paul