Please sign in to post.

Austria Itinerary?

My family of 4 is visiting Vienna in mid-December. We have 11 days and were hoping to spend 3-4 days in Vienna and then take some other short trips. We would like to take a day trip to Bratislava and maybe 2-3 days in Salzburg. Looking for recommendations of other cities that would make a good 1-2 night stay. Trying to make the most of our time so a couple additional cities would be great! Also, will we be able to find accommodations for 4? Seems like everything I have looked at is for 2-3 persons.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
4765 posts

Are you interested in the Christmas markets?

Posted by
8158 posts

Bratislava is just about 39 miles from Vienna--1 hr. by bus. It's a pretty small city. We stayed a weekend there recharging ourselves after visiting Budapest. It'd be a good day trip.

If you're going to be in Salzburg, you could easily catch a train down to Innsbruck. The Austrian Alps are breathtaking in beauty, and Innsbruck is the capitol of Tirol. We have been there in Winter to ski, but most of our visits have been in Spring and Fall.

Posted by
2324 posts

Finding hotels that sleep 4 is very challenging. You will not find rooms with two queen beds. You might find a room with a double bed plus a sofa bed. If you’re very lucky you may find a room with 4 twin beds. But most likely you will need two rooms or an apartment.

Posted by
1297 posts

Kitzbühel might be fun. A little pricey and fashionable. Transportation there could take some time. Ski season will have probably started by mid December. Weihnachtsmarkt and decorations.

Lienz?

Posted by
209 posts

Plan a day trip out to Melk Abby. You can take the train both ways. If you go on a weekend, they have a Christmas Market. Another possible day trip is a visit to Carnuntum. This is a Roman era historical site about 45 minutes by train from Vienna. It has both ruins and a reconstructed Roman town / museum.

Also, depending on the age of your children, a sunny afternoon in Prater could be a great break from museums, etc.

Look at a hostel with private rooms. Hostels and their guests aren't what the were 25 years ago. I use them on many of my trips and see plenty of families. My daughter and I will be staying at the Wobat Naschmarkt in October.