Please sign in to post.

Austria itinerary

We got 10-12 days. Need iternery suggestions for Austria + other place

Posted by
8150 posts

I like to fly into Munich and rent a car. Then go west and south down through Bavaria and come into Austria by way of Innsbruck. The mountains there are simply incredible, and it's an easy place to travel through. We like to get up on the mountains driving from village to village.

Leaving there, go east to Zell-am-See where the north end of the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway runs down to Lintz, Austria. It's the second highest road in Europe and #1 for the most beautiful place I've ever seen. You can go down and back or go south into Italy and turn right going toward Cortina into the Dolomites. You can make it back into Innsbruck--a one day excursion.

Salzburg is another important city to visit--about 2 hours northeast of Innsbruck. It's good for a couple of days, and it's a quite popular city where everyone you run into is like a tourist guide. I would see about dropping the rental car off in Germany--just west of Salzburg.

Then take a train into Vienna--a great classical European city in the continental style. It's another city worthy of 4 or more days time. And it's a good place to fly home from. If you make it to Vienna, PM me for a great place to stay.

Posted by
515 posts

Car or train? The previous suggests are goid. Loved all of them. There are other small towns .., Hallstatt, Kitzbuel, St Anton, Melk, and others, etc. There are also some amazing mind blowing futuristic spas. There is also Fussen and its iconic castle which near the border.

And there is Obersalzburg and Eaglesnest if you’re into WWII history. Plus Dachau and a place where long tunnels were built into the mountain by prisoners.,

Posted by
1912 posts

It depends on your interests, e.g., mountains, great landscapes, hikig, etc. or cities, culture, museums, music, etc.
I would opt for the latter, spending most time in Vienna, but this my personal preference.
If you ask so unspecific questions, you will likely end with a run-of-the-mill itinerary.

Posted by
865 posts

What time of year? What are your interests? The easy answer is:

Vienna - 4 nights
Salzburg - 3 nights
Innsbruck - 4 nights

Fly into Vienna, fly out of Munich. Take trains the whole way and plan daytrips from each location.

Posted by
865 posts

Austria via train east-to-west:

Vienna
Salzburg
Innsbruck
Bregenz

Day trip out of each.