Hello - I'd like to get some feedback on my Austrian trip. I'm in Austria from September 3 to 7, 2016. I'm traveling alone, in great shape, and like to see a lot. I love museums, but also love being active and outdoors. Here's my proposed itinerary:
Saturday, September 3 – Flight arrives in Vienna at 1:30 PM. After stopping at my hotel on Mariahilfer Strasse, spend the rest of the day taking Rick Steve’s Vienna City Walk and getting something to eat (sunset about 7:30 PM). See St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Sunday, September 4
• Going to church at 10 AM with friends
• Around noon, leave for Schonbrunn Palace (Grand Tour of the apartments and then the gardens) – open until 5:30
• Evening: Get standing room only ticket for the evening performance at the Opera House (stay 30-60 minutes). Then go to coffee houses: Café Central (open until 10) and Café Landtmann (open until midnight) – Cafes are 6 minutes walk from each other.
Monday, September 5
• Kunsthistoriches Museum (opens 10 AM)
• Ringstrasse tram tour (could also do this by bike), visiting sites in Old Town I've missed.
• Evening - relax and get ready for the next morning?
Tuesday, September 6 – Train from Vienna leaves at 6:24 AM and arrives in Salzburg at 9 AM (2.5 hours).
• Old Town Walk (includes Salzburg Cathedral, Getreidegasse, Rezidenz Palace). Visit Mozart birthplace or Mozart’s residence (both open 9-5:30)
• Monchsberg walk/bike and Hohensalzburg Fortress (open until 7, with a concert at night.
Wednesday, September 7
• Hitler’s eagle nest/Nazi sites OR drive a rental car to Hallstatt. From what I've read, Hallstatt sounds more interesting even though I'm a big history buff. I don't mind the crowds at Hallstatt.
Thursday, September 8 - Train leaves at 7:56 AM for Luzern, Switzerland.