Please sign in to post.

Austria December 2018

Hi all,

In 2010 we went to Austria during May and we visited Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna and spent 14 days. Now we are thinking of going back during December, and was thinking of going to Innsbruck, Salzburg, Graz and Vienna and take different day trips, although we will still be visiting some interesting museums that we already visited in 2010. I was thinking of spending 3 nights in Innsbruck, no day trips, 4 nights in Salzburg with a day trip to Linz, 4 nights in Graz and 5 nights in Vienna, with a day trip to Melk and Krems. Now the question is this....what day trip do you suggest from Graz? Do you suggest that I add another night in Innsbruck and remove a night from Graz? We always use buses and trains. Day trips distance shouldn't be more than 1.5hours one way with trains. from Innsbruck in 2010 we visited Wattens, and Schloss Ambrass outside, so I'm not likely to visit them again. Thanks.

Posted by
32709 posts

You are talking about a year from now, right?

Posted by
42 posts

Yes 2018. I know it's still time, but I prefer to have a rough idea early as possible.

Posted by
2487 posts

Just north of Graz you'll find the wonderful monastery (Stift) of Rein.
Linz itself won't fill a whole day, but nearby (and with an excellent bus connection from the railway station) there is the even more impressive monastery of Sankt Florian.
From Vienna I can recommend a day trip to Eisenstadt (hourly direct train) with one of the palaces (Schloss) of the Austrian-Hungarian Esterházy family.

Posted by
2902 posts

Did you do the Nordkettenbahn trip in Innsbruck? I have to say, Innsbruck is our favorite during the Christmas Markets! Gorgeous. Day trips could include: Sterzing/Vipiteno and/or Brixen/Bressanone over the border in Italy. Both are less than 1.5 hours from Innsbruck and are extremely charming old towns with nice Christmas Markets. Brixen has an interesting museum, called the Diocean Museum.

From Salzburg, especially during the Christmas Markets, head to St. Gilgen, look around, get on the lake ship and visit St. Wolfgang and Strobl. Wonderful way to spend a day. We did this a few years ago.

Paul

Posted by
27063 posts

Another possibility from Graz would be Maribor, Slovenia. It's 58 to 75 minutes away by train. I haven't been to Maribor, but it has a nice setting on the Drava River, and the historic district looks pretty.

Posted by
5372 posts

Yes, Zotter Chocolate Factory from Graz is a MUST! It is my favorite thing to do in Austria. Riegersburg is also great and nearby. The Styrian Wine Route is also lovely.