Please sign in to post.

Austria (and Munich and Budapest) airfares for 2016

After resolving to make a long-overdue return visit to Austria/Hungary/Slovenia in the summer of 2016, I looked at airfares online for Vienna, Munich, Budapest on major airlines. WOWZA. I had thought there was an expected downturn of European travel for next summer due to terror jitters, etc, but the fares are outrageously high.

Last year on almost this exact date, I bought RT fares to Milan and out of curiosity I checked, they too are a few hundred dollars higher than this date last year.

Can anyone explain what's going on? Should I wait and see if the costs drop?

PS I must travel high summer season. Also prefer not to fly Aeroflot but stick with Austrian, Lufthansa, United, etc.

Posted by
561 posts

Norwegian Air has some pretty nice priced flights from New York to Budapest that might work for you, if you don't mind flying a budget airline, and a stop-over in Oslo.

Posted by
500 posts

Yes, saw those. I guess my bigger question is what do people predict with the major carriers this season - and do they look unusually high to anyone else?

Posted by
17638 posts

I got "good" prices on my February trip to Budapest; and a pretty decently balanced value overall. I just started shopping for a trip in late August – early September. Prices do seem to be up maybe something less than 5% over this time last year. More interestingly to me is the number of “good” flights from my point of origin to Budapest seems to be fewer.

The intent in August was to fly round trip to Budapest and then from Budapest use another carrier make a short side trip to a special event. To find the best rate I have had to look at it four different ways and balance the pros and cons against the costs. It’s a real puzzle including options like RT to Frankfurt and then local carriers to my secondary destination, on to Budapest and back to Frankfurt. The best balance turned out to be to fly direct to the secondary destination, then a discount carrier to Budapest and then the primary carrier from Budapest back the US. Balance involves time in the air, arrival times, connection times and finally cost. My choice is rarely the cheapest.

You mention in another post that your trip might fly in and out of Budapest, but since you are traveling in a circle anyway, you might look at flying in and out of Vienna. There is a good chance you will get a better flight if not a cheaper one.

Posted by
5697 posts

Supply and demand. IF there indeed turns out to be a sharp reduction in demand for flights to those areas, then the airlines may cut prices -- or reduce the number of flights -- but as long as people are willing to pay the "outrageous" prices you see, there's no reason for them to lower fares. So it's the usual reply -- nobody knows what prices are going to do.

Posted by
4137 posts

One of the unrecognized issues surrounding all of this is the inexorable aging of the baby boom generation ( not only in the States , but in Europe as well ) . Those of a certain age , who begin to realize that it is now or never , and have , or are about to retire , are populating airplanes with greater frequency . I have noticed a great deal more grey ( or missing ) hair in recent years , even traveling in the autumn months , shoulder season is not what it used to be . The increase in the demand for health care among the long in the tooth , is yet another example of this phenomenon , So , lots of old people are providing more business for the airlines . Incidentally , I am just about to book my Autumn trip ( with the return from Vienna ) and noticed the higher prices as well .

Posted by
500 posts

Steven, good observation about the aging of the babyboomer generation. I also truly believe the airlines have their hands full trying to satisfy demand AND keep their fleet maintained / staff taken care of while also pocketing lots of profits. The money's gotta come from somewhere!