Please sign in to post.

Altitude sickness

Do we have to worry about potential altitude sickness on our upcoming My Way Alpine trip???

Posted by
35 posts

I am interested in this topic too. We are on the 7/5 tour.

Posted by
6880 posts

If the tour program I saw is correct, the only place where you might feel unwell is 12,000' Aiguille du Midi. And even then... If you feel nauseous or very light-headed, you can head down very quickly by cable car, so it is not a huge concern.
Of course, if you have medical conditions that might put you at a higher risk of altitude-related issues, consult with your physician.

Posted by
14944 posts

If you should get altitude sickness, the only cure is to go to a lower altitude. It's not as common as people think and it can happen to anyone.

When I led tours we would go up to 10,000 feet on some tours and I had very few cases with my passengers. The one thing I was told, and check this with your doctor, is if you take high blood pressure medication, take it with enough time to get absorbed into your system before going up.

The other advice is to take your time. Don't get up too quickly

Posted by
464 posts

I wondered when we were on mountain tops….several of the highest altitudes in Switzerland and the alps! Gorgeous and loved it! And I was totally fine. Make sure to spend a few days first in lower altitudes to acclimate.

Posted by
25 posts

I got altitude sickness recently when I visited the Jungfrau peak, the smell of curry from the Bollywood restaurant & crowds of people didn’t help either. After a few days in Switzerland I adjusted & had no problems when we visited the Mattahorn later.

Posted by
8340 posts

A key here is to stay hydrated. Drink twice as much water as you might usually do. If you go for a hike, bring twice the water that you might normally bring.

Posted by
2427 posts

Where do you live? At sea level? We live at a mile high altitude and have never had an issue when in Peru, Chamonix or the Alps. But people we were traveling with who were flatlanders did have issues. The cure for them was to get to a lower altitude or if that wasn’t possible supplementary oxygen (in Peru). Take it slow when at altitude, stay hydrated and get to a lower altitude as soon as possible and you will feel better.

Posted by
307 posts

I live at altitude. Drink water. Limit alcohol until you get acclimated. Bring OTC solutions like Advil or Aleve for headaches. Also Sudafed or similar to reduce sinus pressure. Get a good nights sleep. I like Saje peppermint halo roll on to reduce headache pain and it’s also invigorating.

Posted by
903 posts

After looking at the tour, it looks like anytime you are at 12,000" or so you get there by bus, train, cable car etc. I would not worry about it. Keep yourself well hydrated and move slowly.