Please sign in to post.

Airport transfer to Train Station in Munich and train for Salzburg.

Hello, Could somebody please guide me. Me and my 9 yrs old will be travelling from Munich airport to Salzburg. We land around 10 am.
We would like to take train to Salzburg. Do we take a cab to Train Station or are there trains from airport to train station. Also, which train station do we take the train from in Munich? Could you also please suggest the website for buying train tickets to Salzburg.
Thanks Much!

Posted by
4637 posts

Trains go from the airport. The schedule and opportunity to buy tickets is on Deutsche Bahn website:
http://www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Depending on what time you are ready to take train you take either S Bahn 1 or S Bahn 8. With S Bahn 1 your changing station is Munich Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station), with S Bahn 8 changing station is Munich Ost (East). There are trains with just one change to get to Salzburg or more. You will see everything on Deutsche Bahn website including prices.

Posted by
20027 posts

Detailed answers on your identical post on the "Germany" forum.

Posted by
7175 posts

The S Bahn suburban train from the airport to Munich Ost station for a connection. You don't have to travel to the Hauptbahnhof, but you may wish to.

Example of timings ...
SBA 6858
Dep 12:24 MUENCHEN FLUGHAFEN TERMINAL (Germany)
Arr 12:55 MUENCHEN OST (Germany)
RE 79021
Dep 13:04 MUENCHEN OST (Germany)
Arr 14:41 SALZBURG HBF (Austria)

Posted by
19092 posts

With S Bahn 1 your changing station is Munich Hauptbahnhof.

Not necessarily. The S1 goes through the Hbf and on to Ostbahnhof 8 minutes later. With either the S1 or S8, you could go to either station, depending on how the timing works out. All the trains (RJ, EC, M) to Salzburg start at the Hbf; the RJ does not normally stop at Ost.

The Meridian train runs hourly, the RJ and EC alternate hourly, and the S-Bahns runs on a 20 minute cycle. If you take a Meridian train, your last chance to catch a given train is by taking the S8 to Ost, but 2/3 of the time you will end up with time to kill at Ost and one or two S8s will arrive from the Flughafen before your Meridian train leaves.