Please sign in to post.

3 Days in Vienna

As part of a 4 week trip to Europe in May we will be visiting Vienna for 3 days. Prior to arriving we will have spent 3 days cycling from Passau to Vienna. As this will be our first time in Vienna we are thinking it might be nice to do a walking tour of the city on the first day. Has anyone experienced a tour they might recommend. I would also appreciate suggestions that might help us prioritize our time. There appears to be a plethora of things to see and do.

Posted by
8120 posts

We often take one of the Free Walking Tours of European cities where the tourguides work for tips. And then we'll take their nightlife tour or pub crawl tour that night. The tourguides in many cities are licensed, and they're often very good.

You can find them easily online.

Posted by
1890 posts

Here is a little folder, targeted at short-time visitors. It gives you a good overview of the main sights in Vienna, suggesting two walks in the city center. (Ignore the very last page which is not up to date, as this folder has not be renewed since 2020 due to Corona times without tourists in Vienna.)

Posted by
74 posts

Thank you for that reminder David. I think that is what we used on a visit to Amsterdam.

Posted by
189 posts

Donna,

To prioritize your time, decide if royalty, art (clasical or modern), architecture, gardens or something else are first on your list. I am not interested in the lives of royalty nor modern art. So, I prioritized my four days in Vienna on classical art, architecure (I do like palaces from the outside), and the gardens. Days were full and I didn't get to everything on my list.

Also, they do a great outdoor movie and concert series next to the City Hall in the summer. I don't know if it starts when you are there in May...go if you can.

James

Posted by
3590 posts

As I recall, when planning our first trip to Vienna, the TI website had an extensive list of walking tours. This was several years ago, so the details are fuzzy in my head; but I think the tours were sponsored by TI. It was not like Tripadvisor’s list of commercial tours. At any rate, I suggest you start off by googling “Vienna, Tourist Information.”

Posted by
4674 posts

There is a wealth of info here under Trip Reports, then browsing the Austria section, and also using the Search function. Vienna is a wonderful, vibrant city . For me, the Schonbrunn and grounds were a very worthwhile visit, and the tour of the Opera house was a favorite.
Safe travels!