Please sign in to post.

2022 vs. 2019 prices

I was reading Rick Steves travel book of 2019, all prices were OK.
Then I thought: it is 2022, so ... it is a different world!
Would you update me on the pricing for hotels, restaurants, museums, concerts and transportation (train, bus) in Vienna, Salzburg, etc., please.
They are higher, of course, but how much?
Thank you.

Posted by
23267 posts

There is not a flat answer to your question. Just check the hotels' web sites and see what the current price is.

Posted by
4140 posts

As Frank says, you need to check the prices . I just took a quick look at what I paid in 2019 at hotels and venues before the pandemic and compared it to the prices I have for a number of the same hotels , etc . for my trip this coming Autumn , and I don't see much difference .

Posted by
4098 posts

Rental cars are where I'm seeing the most staggering difference. Where in 2019 I may have paid $500, I'm now seeing comparables at $1200. I suspect we're going to see a spike in airfare soon as oil prices remain high.

Posted by
27112 posts

I think hotel rates have in many cases not fully recovered, though that varies from place to place; I've been looking at Italy. I bet restaurant costs are up because of kinks in the food chain. Museum entry fees have increased in Italy--not everywhere, but it's noticeable overall. I cannot give you even an estimate of the percentage increase, though.

I have no information whatsoever on Austria.

Posted by
6113 posts

The current annual inflation rate as at February was 5.9%. Transportation costs are rocketing, which will feed through to food prices.

Posted by
4140 posts

One further point to bear in mind - I booked my upcoming trip starting next August in November 2021 . . For instance , hotels that I booked then , have been progressively raising prices and availability has been decreasing as a result of demand , not necessarily due to inflation . My Paris hotel , as of about six weeks ago no longer has availability .

Posted by
5384 posts

So…I actually live in Austria. I can report no noticeable change in costs here, with the exception of fuel and rental cars (I only take public transportation, though).

Posted by
94 posts

Emily,
Thank you so much!
How about museums and train tickets to Salzburg, Krems, Munich?

Posted by
304 posts

I can only tell you from my own experience that the hotels were generally cheaper or the same than 2020 when I rebooked. My trip is still coming up so can’t help restaurants.

Posted by
5384 posts

Museums and train tickets are the same, as far as I have observed. I mean, like maybe 1-2 Euro difference, but does that really matter?

Posted by
741 posts

Does the change in prices really matter? If you want to go, you have to accept what is at the present time. Comparing prices from the past is setting you up for disappointment and concern about something you cannot do anything about.