Please sign in to post.

2 weeks in July with teenagers

We are flying into Munich on 7/1 and flying out of Munich on 7/13. We will be traveling with 2 teenagers ages 14 and 16. Our itinerary is a blank slate right now. Some specific requests by my children are visiting Salzberg, seeing the Alps, Dachau, castles, Lake Hallstatt (my daughter's request I think based on Pinterest photos) and Zupspitze. We hope to use public transportation for most of our trip where possible. I know this is very general question but is this type of itinerary feasible with public transportation. I am also trying to figure out where we should sleep to be centrally located to visiting some of these places. I know we will staying in multiple locations to accomplish this eager list. Also, any recommendations of other places we might want to consider in lieu of some I have listed. I am also posting this on the Germany forum as well.

Posted by
175 posts

HI. Not sure public transportation would work out here but I rent always so I am not the best person to answer that.

Munich for Dachau of course, then drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen to see the Zugspitze. Then to Salzburg (2hr 8m car ride but I always allow more) which might be a good base. Ca. 1 hour drive to Hallstatt, drive south on the A10 and you get into the Alps proper.
Hohenwerfen castle (not visited it yet) is on the A10 drive south.

Be careful if you are driving. Try not to drive on Saturdays on the highways between Austria and Germany - massive traffic jams as people travel south during school holidays and back.

Train Salzburg to Hallstatt takes 2 hr 48 min (see Rome2Rio site for approximate driving/train times for any location).