My boyfriend and I are 30-somethings planning a trip to Europe from San Diego, CA in September 2017. We will be using airline miles (yay!) and can take advantage of open jaw flights.
The last thing we want to do is lose time to inefficient travel between destinations. I need help deciding which arrival and departing cities will be the most efficient so that we can book our flights ASAP! And some help on general itinerary would also be very appreciated.
The one destination we've decided on is Salzburg. Getting my boyfriend to make travel decisions is like pulling teeth, but he's a daily Reddit-checker, so I asked him to see what the Redditors said was the best city they have ever visited...the overwhelming response was Salzburg/Innsbruck...so, of we go!
Travel dates (14 full days to explore):
- Sep 4 - arrive (city TBD) in the AM
- Sep 19 - depart (city TBD) in the AM
Destinations/areas of interest:
- Salzburg (definitely)
- Cesky Krumlov
Our general interests:
- Food, beer and wine
- Outdoor exploration (walking, hiking, boating)
- Beautiful landscapes and architecture
- Friendly atmosphere
- Places "off the beaten path"
Stuff we can do without:
- Crowds everywhere, all the time (I do love me a big city, but in small doses)
- Art (museums, opera, etc.)
- Rushing or sticking to rigid schedule
We like the idea of having a "home base" city for 3-4 days at a time from which we can take day trips (and maybe even unpack a little bit!) While we always prefer to be frugal, we're not on a really tight budget.
I hope this is enough information to give you all an idea of we're looking for. Thanks in advance for the help!