Please sign in to post.

Eagles nest

Has anyone visited Hitlers Eagle nest outside of Salzburg? We are planning on being in Salzburg in Late September/early October this year. Just want to know if it is worth the journey.

Posted by
729 posts

Beckie,

We were in Salzburg last November, after the road to the Eagle's Nest was closed for the winter so we weren't able to visit there. We did however visit Hitler's bunkers and the Dokumentation Center and found it eerie and fascinating at the same time. The town of Berchtesgaden itself is very nice too. For us, it was definitely worth the trip.

Posted by
430 posts

We were there late summer 2013, and it was definitely worth it for us. We took the bus from Salzburg to the Berchtesgaden bus station, another local bus to the Dokumentation center, and finally the special bus up to Eagles Nest. The weather was perfect, and Ive never seen views like that ever before. I think Salzburg was visible in the far distances. Topped everything off by having a beer at the restaurant, before going down and checking out the Dokumentation center. It was all good.

Posted by
32171 posts

Beckie,

The road to the Eagle's Nest will hopefully still be open in late September/early October, so you should be able to get there. You might consider taking one of the Eagle's Nest Tours (check their Trip Advisor reviews for some interesting comments).

As the others have said, the Dokumentation Centre and Bunkers are also well worth a visit. The displays at the Dokumentation Centre are mostly in German, but you can rent an English Audioguide. The town of Berchtesgaden is beautiful and there's also a Salt Mine tour there as I recall.

Posted by
328 posts

I was there about 20 years ago in High School. We were up climbing around on the mountain behind the building, and one of my friends said, "Wouldn't it be cool if someone ripped their jeans up here?" Ripped jeans were very in in the 90s. I said "no, that would be stupid"..Guess who ripped her jeans?

Thank you for bringing back that memory! I am glad we visited it. The views from up the mountain were amazing. I also loved Berchtesgaden/KonigSee. While we were in the area we did a salt mine tour as well. Also very well worth it.

Posted by
19052 posts

I was at the Eagles Nest for the first time in 2000. Since then I have gone back twice, each time with a visitor new to Germany. Each of them enjoyed it. I was there twice in early September, but the last time it was early October.

If you are there on a clear day, the view is fantastic. Yes, you can see all the way to Salzburg. The last time I was there, we couldn't see the cross from the restaurant, but it is still pretty eerie to sit in that octagonal room in front of the Mussolini fireplace and realize that important (although evil) people in history were once in that same room.

Getting there by yourselves is no problem. Go the the Salzburg Hbf and find the bus stop for the Watzmann Express (RVO 850). You can also catch it from several stops in the old town. Buy an RVO Tagesticket from the driver for 9,80€. That will cover the round trip to and from Berchtesgaden and the rt bus to the Busabfahrt in Obersalzberg. You'll still have to pay for the bus up the closed private road to the Nest.