Please sign in to post.

austria

we are flying into munich on oct. 31. below is the itinerary that i am thinking of but welcome any suggestions. we are 2 friends traveling and love small towns like Brugge, Ghent, Nuremborg and Florence. We want to see as much as possible and don't mind moving fast. we are not big eaters or drinkers. we are all about the sights.we have been to Munich but this will be first time in Austria, Prague and Budapest. will most sights still be open since it is the first of November? do any stores close on Sunday or Monday typically.
fly in Munich -train to Salzburg or go to Innsbruck for one day and shorten time in Salzurg
Salzburg for 2 nights with day trips -maybe baden -freiburg near black forest -maybe innsbruck
head out via train toward Prague - this is Nov 1st "all saints day" a holiday but assume train will still run. talked about stopping along the way if we could store 2 small carry on luggage at station. cesky krumlov stop off or Linz stop off. if stores would be open or would other celebrations be happening we should check out
Prague 2 nights
budapest night train spend one night then we fly out from there to Hellsinki for one night if you have suggestions there.
please offer any ideas at all. we are not sold on this itinerary so if you have other suggestions from munich over to Prague a different route then back down into Austria please let me know.

only thing i cant change is flying into munich, flying out of budapest through Hellsiki for a long layover. we will be able to sleep and still have 5 hours to tour before back to airport to fly home.
any advice is appreciated,
traci

Posted by
20017 posts

You say you are arriving Munich Oct 31 but you don't say when you are leaving from Budapest.
Day trips to the Black Forest are not practical from Salzburg, its 7 hours to Freiburg one way. Keep the focus between Munich and Budapest. Why don't you spend a couple of days in Cesky Krumlov, maybe through in Olomouc into the mix between Prague and Budapest.
Edit- I see from your other post you are leaving Nov 8. That gives you 8 nights. 2 in Salzburg, 2 in Prague, 1 in Budapest, and 1 on a night train, that leaves only 2 more nights. Do an extra night in Prague and forget the night train. Cesky Krumlov, Olomouc, or another night in Budapest.

Posted by
4 posts

We fly out late Saturday night November 8th. We are looking at doing the night train from prague to Budapest thursday.

Posted by
17861 posts

It might be a great trip for you, but for me its a little much. If you didn't already have your tickets I would say drop either Budapest or Prague. Since you have your tickets I guess I would have to say drop Prague.

Still I tried to trace your description below and I am confused. You arrive on the 31st, spend two nights and leave for Prague on the 1st?

October 30 leave the US
October 31 arrive Munich and hop on a train to Salzburg?
Nov1 Salzburg
Nov2 Salzburg
Nov3 Salzburg to Prague
Nov4 Prague
Nov5 Prague
Nov6 Prague to Budapest on night train.
Nov7 Budapest
Nov8 Depart

Sorry, I don't think this is what you intended.....?

Posted by
16893 posts

Trains will run on the holiday as usual, or on Sunday schedules which are not much different, and they are already published for your trip dates. How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it.