Please sign in to post.

Salzburg at Christmas

Just tell me your thoughts about Salzburg at Christmas. Thanks!

Posted by
177 posts

We will be there this Christmas Eve to attend the mass at the Salzburg Cathedral!

See you there!!

Posted by
17 posts

My wife and I spent Christmas in Salzburg in 2006 and enjoyed the experience very much. We always stay at Hotel Hohenstauffen. Linda, the owner, lights up the tree with live candles once right before Christmas, with a side of bluwine. Great fun and really puts the spirit into the season. There were a lot of open air stalls of Christmas wares in both the Old Town and across the river. Locals singing, small parades with people dressed up and everything decorated for the season-Beautiful. The only downfall was that a lot of businesses, tourist sites and restaurants were closed for more than one day. That was disappointing but we found plenty to do.
There are several shops in Old Town that specialize. in Holiday Decorations.
We visit Salzburg every two or three years and have seen snow in May and heat waves in September but each time we find something new and exciting to do, eat and see. In December is was COLD, especially for us coming from Florida.

Is there anything specific you are interested in? We might have a little insight for your wish list.

Kelly

Posted by
328 posts

Do it! As soon as our kids are older we plan to spend some Christmases in that part of Europe. Can't wait.

Posted by
1077 posts

I envy you! One of my dreams is to spend Christmas in Europe and Austria is high on the list. Seems like I'm always in Europe between March and October but never winter, I would also like to go to Andora during the Winter to Ski.

Posted by
5 posts

We visited Christmas markets in Stuttgart and Rothenburg, Germany and in Salzburg a year and a half ago (December 2012). The markets were fantastic and well worth the trip. Lots of unique foods and crafts along with music and concerts. In Salzburg, be sure to take time for a dinner and concert up at the fortress - a worthwhile and reasonable (56 E each) experience. The weather is cold even for us Canadians (glad we packed long underwear and down-filled jackets) at Christmas. Salzburg and surrounds (like Hallstadt) are gorgeous in the snow.

Posted by
252 posts

Normally I wouldn't correct somebody's spelling, but it isn't "bluwine" but GLUHWEIN, a spiced wine popular in winter.

Just thought if someone wanted to order it, they would need to know the correct spelling. It is very good as is Jägertee, mixture of rum and hot black tea.

Posted by
9530 posts

I've long dreamed of going to Salzburg for Christmas. I figure, wouldn't it be nice since it's too short of a time to make it home to the States? But even though my in-laws aren't the biggest Christmas celebrators in the world, I don't think I could avoid their thinking it strange that we went somewhere to stay in a hotel rather than coming to Italy, if we have time to go anywhere at all! But one of these years . . .