Please sign in to post.

Rail passes

I have a question about the two country rail passes. We will travel from Germany to Austria, one stop in Munich before going into Austria. Does the train stop and are the rail passes checked again by the porter at the border or is it just done at the destination?

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick Steves' Europe staff are good answering questions about rail passes.

Posted by
19092 posts

In my experience, the conductor checks tickets along the route. Might be at the start of the trip, might be in the middle, might be at the end - whenever he gets to you. Often he comes through the coach several times on a long stretch. I am always amazed at how they always remember who they have already checked.

If you go from Munich to Vienna, the German conductor might come by in Germany and the Austrian conductor might check your ticket again in Austria.

On international trains, it might be the same conductor the whole trip, or they might change at the border, and you will be checked twice.

Posted by
11294 posts

Before you buy a rail pass, make sure it is the best solution for your needs. Start with this summary, from The Man In Seat 61: http://tinyurl.com/bkw4u6c

Both Germany and Austria have significant discounts on advance purchase, non-refundable tickets. In Germany (not sure about Austria), these discounts are even more significant for two or more traveling together. For example, in 2012 for trains from Berlin to Dresden, it was €38 per person one way full price, €19 advance purchase one way for one person, and €29 advance purchase one way for two people. So, on this one round trip, my mother and I saved a total of €94! Germany also has cheap tickets for travel on regional trains within a Land (a German state, like Bavaria). Again, these are even cheaper for more than one person. If these discounts work for you, they are MUCH cheaper than a pass.

Posted by
5384 posts

Yes, please do not assume that the rail pass is a good deal as it is probably (most certainly) not - especially in Germany and Austria.

For example, travel from Salzburg to Vienna is 19 Euro; Munich to Salzburg is super cheap with the Bayern Ticket.

As for the border, the concept of a border between Germany and Austria is old fashioned. It is as simple as traveling from North Carolina into Virginia. You won't even notice when you cross it.

Posted by
19092 posts

"Munich to Vienna is super cheap with the Bayern Ticket."

Except that the Bayern-Ticket only covers travel by regional train from Munich to Salzburg. Salzburg to Vienna is not covered by the Bayern-Ticket.

With a non-refundable, advance purchase Savings Fare ticket (online from the Bahn), Munich to Salzburg is only 19€ for one person, 29€ for two. That's by express train, even the fast (1½ hr) RailJet. With a Bayern-Ticket and regional Meridian train (2 hrs) it's 23€ for one person, 27€ for two.

Also, with an online Savings Fare ticket, Munich to Vienna is as low as 29€ per person.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

To answer your question if you have the Austria-Germany Pass, which is the one I use, and board in Munich en route to Vienna, expect the DB conductor to punch the Pass soon after the train leaves Munich Hbf. Depending on where you are, they will check you within 5 mins. When you cross into Austria, you could be checked again, as pointed out above, say, eg, after Salzburg or around Linz. No, not at your destination.

Posted by
5384 posts

Lee, thanks for the correction. I obviously meant Munich to Salzburg...