Please sign in to post.

Munich to Salzburg

After staying in Munich, my wife and I are planning to go to Salzburg area for 4 nights before we fly back to Istanbul. My question is especially about public transportation since I don't want to drive. We would like to visit Salzburg old town, staying there maybe for 1 night. (We shall take the train to arrive at Salzburg). Can we use the train from Salzburg to see Konigsee - maybe stay overnight and visit St Wolfgang (close by towns like Hallstadt and Bad Ischl) and maybe stay there 2 nights? Could someone help me with this plan please. Many thanks in advance.

Posted by
856 posts

There is no train service, only by bus. About an hour from Salzburg to Abersee.

Posted by
19092 posts

First, Salzburg to Königsee:

There is a train connection from the Salzburg Hbf, via Freilassing. You can take it to Berchtesgaden and via bus to Königsee. It takes a little over an hour. The trains back from Berchtesgaden run until 10 or 11 at night. You can make the round trip including use of most buses in Berchtesgaden with a Bayern-Ticket, 27€ for 2 people.

There is also a bus from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden Hbf, the Watzmann Express, RVO 840. You can buy a day pass for the RVO buses which will include the round trip from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and most buses in Berchtesgaden for 9,80€/adult. The last bus back to Salzburg leaves Berchtesgaden around 6 PM.

St. Wolfgang, Bad Ischl, Hallstatt:

These towns are in the opposite direction from Königsee, probably not part of one trip. There is a train connection to Bad Ischl, and on to Hallstatt, via Attnang-Puchheim on the mainline from Salzburg to Vienna. St. Wolfgang is only accessible by bus from Salzburg or from Bad Ischl.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you very much for your help. Gives us a very good picture. Best regards