Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Salzburg

I have to thank so many of you for helping me put this trip together. Now I am looking for a hotel in Salzburg. We will be there four nights. We would like to stay kind of close to or in the old town and not spend too much money. Please give me suggestions and why you like the property.

Posted by
4637 posts

We stayed in hotel Elephant. Perfect location in the old town, spacey room, good breakfast, reasonable price.

Posted by
5 posts

Is 187 Euros per night considered reasonable in Salzburg? I'm looking for accommodations, too, and I just looked at Hotel Elefant. That's the price they quoted me. It seems pretty steep, but I've never been there, so I don't know what's reasonable.

Posted by
4637 posts

In September 2013 we paid 150 Euro per night including all taxes and breakfast. I think for location (old town Salzburg) is pretty good price.

Posted by
139 posts

We will be staying at the Hotel Mozart on Franz Josef Strasse - across the river from the old town but close enough to walk - in late May and were quoted 95 EUR (Breakfast is an additional 12 EUR per person) per night.

We've never stayed there - just mentioning it as a pricing data point.

Posted by
3696 posts

I stayed at the Best Western... nothing exotic, but a good price (around $120 per nite including breakfast) It was a great location and had a parking lot which we needed. It was a short walk to Old Town and the breakfast was very good. I think there are two but we stayed at the cheaper one. Rates will depend on your dates.

Posted by
19052 posts

I don't think "in the old town" and "not spend too much money" are compatible in Salzburg.

I've gone through the Hbf in Salzburg on a few trips and always spent the night in Freilassing, across the river from downtown Salzburg, at Hotel Rupertus. It's a nice restaurant with a few clean rooms in the back. At 55€ for a double with breakfast, if you don't mind a half hour bus ride from the stop a block away to the old town in Salzburg it's a good deal. It's also a few blocks from the Freilassing Bahnhof on the line to the Salzburg Hbf. Herr Chudoba speak very good English.

Posted by
729 posts

We stayed right in the heart of the old town, on Getreidegasse, in an apartment and paid 90 euro in November. The location was perfect- we loved it! It was ABC Altstadt Apartments - we stayed in the "Constanze" apartment. Heide, the owner, has 3 apartments in this 600 year old building and is great to work with. http://abc-altstadt-appart.at/index2.html

Posted by
5678 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Krone just over the river. It was easy access to old town and everything in Salzburg. The price was great. They even had parking. You had to pay but it was reasonable.

Pam

Posted by
8094 posts

We've stayed in Bed and Breakfasts during our trips to Salzburg, and have had great experiences. When I'm traveling Europe, I'm trying to stay at 70 Euro or less. Even the least expensive properties in Austria and Germany are almost obsessively clean and decent places to stay.

Look at Booking.com and filter your Salzburg search by price. There are 160 properties listed for Salzburg.
AirBnB.com also has a number of center city apartments at very favorable prices, with 163 total properties listed.

Posted by
84 posts

We are staying at Hotel Wolf-Dietrich (in Rick's book), across from Old Town. It looks close on the map. In late June we are paying 212 euro per night for a family apartment/suite for the 5 of us. They also have a pool, which will be a welcome thing for the kids--although with only 2 days (& so much to do in Salzburg & surrounding area) I don't know how much time they'll have to use it.

Posted by
5 posts

We're staying at the Star Inn Zentrum. 80 Euro per night for a queen room. Breakfast is not included. It's a very short walk through a pedestrian tunnel to the old town - great location. Room is spacious and modern.

Posted by
5697 posts

We stayed (twice) at Drei Kreuze -- great breakfast included, bus from/to train station, easy 10-15 minute walk ( at senior-citizens speed) to old town across the bridge. Would be staying there at Christmas if I had made reservations in time.

Posted by
984 posts

I stayed at the Christkoenig Hotel in old town. It is I think around a 100 Euro for a double room. I loved it for the history of the building and the location. It is right under the fortress in the heart of old town, but it was on a square that was pretty quiet. I really enjoyed staying right in old town.

Posted by
12172 posts

My favorite "in town and not expensive" option is Institute San Sebastian. I love this place and have stayed there alone and with wife and kids in tow. It's a college dorm, so not at all luxurious, but is well run, clean, quiet and inexpensive. It's an easy walk to the old center.

Some of the rooms are bunk beds with lockers like a standard hostel. When I was with my family they put us in two rooms, each with three single beds, that shared a bathroom and were otherwise behind a locked door from the rest of the rooms. They let me park my car in their tiny lot for free and charged me nearly nothing to do a load of laundry.

This place isn't for everyone, probably not for most Americans, but I like it a lot.