Please sign in to post.

Which has better day trip possibilities - Budapest or Vienna

I am arriving in Budapest March 28 and leaving April 6 and plan on spending 3 nights in both Budapest and Vienna. Which leaves me two nights was I am thinking about renting a car or jumping on a train to checking out another location or two. Can you please help me by sharing your thoughts on which would be more enjoyable and what you enjoyed about it? Thank you for your help!

Posted by
4140 posts

Your question is a bit unfair as both of these destinations offer wonderful possibilities . While I use both car and rail interchangeably , these two places are best done by rail . Vienna : the day trip from Vienna - Melk - Krems - Vienna is well known and well worthwhile . From Budapest , the train up to Szentendre ( about forty minutes ) and wandering the back lanes there in the Serbian area is a real eye opener . The details for both of these trips are clearly set forth in the RS guidebooks . If you do go to Budapest , Szentendre is really worth the time .

Posted by
17908 posts

From Szentendre take the boat back to Budapest. A great overnight in late March is Eger. Another option is to spend a night in Gyor which is on the tracks halfway between Vienna and Budapest. Gyor is an interesting town with a great old center and monastery turned hotel. About 20 minutes outside Gyor is the Archabbey / winery at Pannonhalma; a great experience.
Both Vienna and Budapest made the Conde Nast top cities in the world. Budapest tied for the best in Europe and Vienna wasn't far behind. So you chose well no matter how you split it.
http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-choice-awards/best-cities-world_slideshow_2-Budapest_23
Lonely Planet also picked Budapest as a top pick for March this year. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-tips-and-articles/ask-the-experts-where-to-go-in-march
If you have specific interests in history or activity others here and I can help with suggestions in Budapest while other good people here could help you with Vienna. Cold War. WWII, holocaust, food, architecture, antiques, spectacular views, drive a Russian tank, bath houses, coffee houses, museums, Roman ruins, castles, fortresses, boating on the lake, ancient abbies, wineries; the region has it all.
And now George needs no introduction, so have at it my friend:

Posted by
5382 posts

From Vienna, continue on to Salzburg and enjoy the Alps. Gives you a chance to get out of the big cities. Travel is 2h20min by train (don't drive) and tickets with Westbahn can be bought on the train on the day of travel for 25 Euro.