Please sign in to post.

Salzburg

Recommendations for 2 nights in Salzburg, where to stay and where to eat. Any specialty foods not to miss?

Posted by
5678 posts

I had a nice stay a number of years ago at Hotel Goldene Krone. It looks like they have done some renovations including renaming it to Hotel Krone. I thought that the location was super. And the parking garage worked fine. Breakfast was good. And they had a fan as it was hot when I was there!

Pam

Posted by
2091 posts

We thoroughly enjoyed the location, the staff, the breakfast, the comfort of the rooms, everything about the Hotel Weisse Taube. Can't say enough good things about them!

Posted by
8141 posts

What I especially enjoy about Salzburg is the people. Everyone you come in contact with are like tour guides.

We always stay in bed and breakfasts when in town. Last time, we were 4 miles out of town on a small farm at a absolutely gorgeous home, and we took a bus into the center center.

We also have stayed in the city where many bed and breakfasts are within walking distance of the tourist sites. When visiting Augustiner, it's best not to drive.

Posted by
4637 posts

Hotel Elephant. Excellent location, view of the castle from our room. More than enough space. Good breakfast. Wiener schnitzel. We ate at several places, all of them good.

Posted by
22 posts

You can't beat the location of Hotel Elefant. It's in the middle of everything in the Altstadt. Their breakfast is wonderful and plentiful and the people at the front desk are very helpful. Nice clean rooms as well.

Gasthaus Wilder Mann is where you will find a good Austrian meal and sit with the locals. It is located down the alley at Getreidegasse 20. Also down one of the alleys off of Getreidegasse (I think #33) is the original Bosna stand. A bosna is two grilled sausages in a crispy bun with mustard, onions, curry powder and parsley. They are very tasty. It's just a stand though...no where to sit down. Sternbrau Restaurant on Griesgasse has very good Wienerschnitzel and also Goulasch but it was closed for renovation in June of 2013. Don't know if it's open yet. Another good place for traditional food is St. Paul's Stub'n on Herrenstrasse right under the Fortress. And then there is always Augustinerbrau where you can get a variety of items at the stands in the hallways of beer hall.

Posted by
111 posts

Another vote for Hotel Elefant in Old Town.....great location, delicious breakfast, and clean rooms.

Posted by
485 posts

Ditto the Hotel Elefant. We've stayed there on 3 previous trips. Right off of the Getreidegasse (the main street in the Old Town), around the corner from the Mozart Birth House. Not far from the Salzburg Cathedral either. Nice rooms, wonderful family-run establishment. Highly recommend.

Posted by
84 posts

I don't think Hotel Elefant has accommodations for three travellers :(

Posted by
485 posts

Do you mean a room for 3? Yes they do. Each time we stayed at the Hotel Elefant we were 3 people in a suite; one room had two beds, the living area had a sofa bed.

Posted by
16 posts

Didn't stay at Hotel Elefant but ate there. Delicious lunch. Always ask for the locals special. Not posted on menu but lower priced and delicious. We had a chicken sandwich with fried egg on top that sounds a little unusual but tasted great. Large portion sizes.

Posted by
84 posts

Hotel Elefant must have a three night minimum (tried for a Fri and Sat night), so now need to come up with Plan #2. Want a good location to Old Town.

Posted by
4637 posts

We stayed 2 nights in hotel Elephant last September. No problem.

Posted by
5382 posts

A three day minimum makes no sense - the hotel would never make any money.

Just call the hotel and see if they have rooms.

Otherwise, Hotel Weisse Taube is a good option.