Please sign in to post.

10 days to 2 weeks in austria in april 2024

After 10 days in the netherlands ending on april 24th, I'm planning a trip to Austria. I want to spend time in Vienna and Saltzburg and am wondering what else to plan. It's too early for the Alps , but Hallstatt? Wacheau Valley? suggestions appreciated. thanks Sue

Posted by
8150 posts

Taking a train from Vienna over to Waucheau and Salzburg is the way to go. I would suggest you rent a car there as you leave Salzburg.

We've been to Bavaria and Tirol a few times earlier than mid April. You shouldn't have any travel limitations other than the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway not yet being opened.

The Alps are incredibly majestic and about as beautiful as any place in the world. (I went to college in Innsbruck long ago.) We enjoy driving up on the mountains and going from village to village. The car gives you the freedom to see incredible scenery.

Hallstadt is just a short drive from Salzburg and it's worth seeing too. You can take a day trip from Salzburg by bus.

Posted by
1450 posts

I'd look at RS Best of Munich, Salzburg & Vienna in 8 days Day as an example. It looks like it covers where you want to go. It might even be priced right, too.

Posted by
1295 posts

Rust on Neusiedlersee. Maybe a swing thru Wiener Neustadt? Kärnten lakes? Lienz?

Posted by
4412 posts

I just did a day trip by bus from Salzburg to the Wolfgangsee and the boat across the lake, I'm working on the write up. Highly recommended.

Posted by
1295 posts

Sorry expanding my post... Wachau... I remembered the Apricots/Marillen. The Marillenmeile (Apricot Mile) across the Danube from Dürnstein. You might be there when in full bloom. There are Heurigen in the area too. 1 May Maibaum in Dürnstein. Winzerhof & Gästehaus STÖGER recommended by Emily was great to stay. I recommend Café/Konditorei Elisabeth in Weißenkirchen. Make your reservation now. Ebikes are great here. Search the forums.

Rust (the city) Neusiedlersee is worth a look. It is a tourist gem not yet discovered much outside the region. Multiple Wineries in unique Hof/courtyards with wine and food. A nice small story book type town.

I have to recommend again Wiener Neustadt the old city center and the surrounding region. Weingut & Heuriger Piribauer was great.