Please sign in to post.

Altitude sickness?

Hi all!
IS there a chance I will experience any altitude sickness or is the Kleine altitude 6,700ft not so much an issue. May 22nd - Train up to Kleine Scheidegg, chill and take in the views, snack and hydrate for about 1/2 hour, and then hike back down to Wengen (weather permitting). I will be doing this solo, and do not want to start the descent, have no opt out location, and start to feel short of breath or dizzy. I am a 60yr old female in very good shape :). Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Posted by
6933 posts

Absolutely not a concern at that elevation, don't worry.
The only place where there is a slight risk of feeling unwell is Jungfraujoch, and perhaps Schilthorn for sensitive individuals.

Posted by
4917 posts

In a previous post you mentioned that you are prone to motions sickness. I don't have any medical background or training, and I don't pretend to have any idea if that will impact your possibility of having altitude sickness. I will, however, urge you to discuss this with your primary doctor and follow that advice. Hiking solo under "iffy" conditions and situations has never been a great idea, in my opinion. Don't mean to be critical, just offering food for thought.

Posted by
173 posts

Speaking from my experience- I am prone to motion sickness and really don't like heights but I have done that hike twice in my 60's and never had a problem. And even though you are solo there is always others on the trail with you. It's a fabulous hike!

Posted by
1126 posts

My answer is maybe, depending. I grew up in California, in the mountains ~7,000ft. Used to go up and down the hill to visit family at the beach and no issues. Since then, I have moved to the Seattle area which is basically zero elevation. Recently I went home and was surprised that I had issues with dizziness and felt like I couldn't get enough oxygen. When going up the hill, my husband had to pull over a couple of times to allow me to adjust. It was interesting to look at my readings on an oximeter. Those numbers dropped low. The next day, I went hiking and it was fine, but those first few hours were rough.

Anyways, most likely you will be fine. But, some factors that would influence how well you adjust is what elevation do you currently live at? A big change in elevation from what you are adjusted to would be one determining factor. I just looked up Wengen and it's at ~4,000 elevation, so that is the other determining factor. You are not having that much of an elevation change on the day you are going up. Your body probably has already done some adjusting. On the day I got dizzy, we were driving from the beach to the mountains, quick change in altitude.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you TC and Balso! I have researched the trail back and forth, watched videos of others experiences, and i will only do it if weather is optimum (May very iffy), might be extremely muddy etc., and I feel absolutely comfortable. Being realistic, and cautious as you recommend, if solo, I will probably only hike the 30mins down to Wengernalp and take the train rest of the way down :). If I get lucky, one of my tour mates may want to do the walk as well !! I am from the Bahamas and this trip has been a dream in the making for 5yrs or so

Posted by
14093 posts

No real scientific comment on the altitude sickness although sometimes I feel slightly ill when I go from my home at 2500' to Yellowstone lower elevations at around 6500'. My symptoms are feeling a little spacey and headachey but nothing severe at all. I have done the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg with no symptoms at all. I was with others BUT as a solo traveler and hiker I'd have no problem doing this on my own. I have not done the hike back down to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg but agree with Karen that there will be others on the trail.

I usually carry ibuprofen so you might check with your healthcare provider to see if that is an option for you. A Motrin and a coffee/Coke/other caffeine drink and I'm good.

This is a gorgeous area!

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you Gail and Karen!
Yes, my motion sickness (and it does not always happen). is confined to a types of moving vehicle. Heights don’t really bother me. I ‘literally’ live at sea level, The Bahamas, but our tour hits Italy, and Munich for 8 days before Switzerland so I think I will be good.

Posted by
15 posts

I love the advice one gets on this forum!! I am quite independent and adventurous but It makes me feel so much more confident to hear other’ experiences.

Posted by
32228 posts

hills,

I doubt that you'll have any issues at that elevation. It would still be a good idea to check with your family doctor prior to the trip, as h/she will be the best one to comment on the altitude issue based on your medical history. You'll likely only be at Kleine Scheidegg for a short time before starting the hike down, so you'll be hiking towards lower elevations.

I'm in the same age range and have been to a number of high altitude sites in Europe. I had no problems at Kleine Sheidegg, none at the Schilthorn (~10,000 feet), mild issues at the Jungfraujoch (11,716 feet at the highest level) but I was able to manage without too much difficulty for a short time. I had more of a problem at the Aguille du Midi in France (12,605 feet). The first few hours were fine, but after spending several hours over at Pointe Hellbronner (Italy), I experienced problems when returning to the Aguille.

Based on my past experiences, I have no plans to ever visit Capanna Margherita, the highest hotel in Europe at 14,940 feet! It's an amazing facility with 120 rooms and a restaurant, but somewhat difficult to get there and only possible for the most intrepid adventurers.

Posted by
15340 posts

Altitude sickness can hit anyone at anytime. You could do the same trip nine times without a problem and then number ten.....problems.

Back in my tour days, I used to bring lots of people up to higher elevations. Whether or not someone got altitude sickness was hit or miss.

The only real cure for it is to go down in elevation. If you should start to feel out of breath or get a headache, head to lower altitude.

Take things slowly. If you start to feel dizzy, go slower. Sit. Rest.

You're smart to give yourself time before you head walking down. Should you feel any of the symptoms I mentioned above, it's best to skip the walk and take the train back down.

Posted by
2199 posts

I agree with the others who have encouraged you. I'm female and did that hike in August 2022 at age 77 (in August). When I got to a restaurant (somewhere near the "top"?), I sat down on a log in the shade. Two other (Swiss) women came and sat beside me. They began asking me questions in German and, when I said, "Kein Deutsch," immediately switched to English. They wanted to know where I was from and so forth. When I told them the U.S., they said I was very courageous to come all that way by myself and be hiking. I didn't feel courageous, I just felt like me. There were tons of people on the trail, and I wouldn't have been doing it if that were not the case!

I'm sure you are in better shape that I am. I live at 3,000 feet but had absolutely no problems at altitude in Switzerland.