Please sign in to post.

Portugal in August?

Considering a trip to Portugal in August. Main focus would be Lisbon and the Algarve, maybe also Porto, but I feel less excited about Porto than Lisbon. Wondering if it will be too hot? I would love to visit Coimbra, but it sounds like university will not be in session and that is a big part of the charm for me. I want to visit the Algarve, not for the beach culture but for the dramatic views such as Ponta da Piedade and a boat tour to Benagil Cave (although this may no longer be an option?), but it will be very busy in August. Am I better off picking somewhere else in Europe?

Posted by
509 posts

I visited Portugal (and Spain) in September 2013. Although my visit was a month later than the one you might take, the average daily temperature is probably only a couple degrees lower in September compared with August. I found the climate to be wonderful. Though it was warm and occasionally hot, it was also relatively breezy in a pleasant -- not gusty -- way. I felt more of the heat in Spain.

Most every country in Europe will be busy with holiday-goers, as per tradition, in August.

I also briefly stopped in Faro, which is a town in the Algarve, but I was there to transfer from one bus to another between Portugal and Seville, Spain. The town had a relaxed vibe, but the areas with dramatic views are in other parts of the Algarve.

Posted by
6636 posts

If August is when you can travel, the temperature is irrelevant. For a few reasons we never travel mid-June through August. One reason is heat, but airfare and lodging are more expensive and the crowds can be terrible.

In Coimbra, even if school isn’t in session, you’d still be able to tour the university’s sites; library, science museum, royal palace, and chemistry lab. The campus itself is an open campus so you can wander around all you want. While there walk over to view the aqueduct and visit the new cathedral. We bought our tour (self-guided) tickets when we got there at the ticket office near the chemistry lab.

Posted by
58 posts

Craig Thanks for your reply.  It's funny you mention that the difference in September is minimal, it must be psychological that I would worry about August but not blink at September.

jaimeelsabio  You are so right about the costs being higher in the summer, I unfortunately know that very well due to when we can travel.  In Coimbra, I really wanted to see the students in their hooded robes.  I may have to postpone that for the future.

GeoffB Thanks for sharing your very detailed trip report, I enjoyed reading it and value all the information you shared.  Weather these days seems to be unpredictable and up to chance.  Did you have a favorite between Porto or Lisbon?

Posted by
255 posts

Did you have a favorite between Porto or Lisbon?

If it was our first trip we would do Lisbon. For us, Porto was a good first stop to get over jet lag.