Please sign in to post.

Puglia

We are looking at traveling to Puglia for 2 weeks in July 2024, with the view to retiring in Italy. We will arrive in Bari. I am looking for itinerary suggestions to travel from Bari to the Lecce area? Hotels, restaurants, cafes etc, we are on a 3-star budget. Any advice would be appreciated. Grazie!

Posted by
15266 posts

I recommend visiting Polignano, Alberobello, Locorotondo, Ostuni, Lecce, Otranto, just to ne e a few. You can also find lots of resources online. This is an example.
https://www.turistinpuglia.it/en/cosa-vedere-in-puglia-20-luoghi-da-non-perdere/

I can’t suggest 3 star hotels because I don’t use anything below 4 stars. LOL. Just kidding! I was in Puglia last in July 2023, and temperatures were in the 40s Celsius every single day, so when I travel in southern Italy at that time of the year, the hotel MUST have a pool, no matter the number of stars. I had a rental car (and I suggest you do the same to best enjoy Puglia) so it was easier to find great posh hotels and resorts just outside of town that didn’t cost too much (under €200 a night at most).

If you intend to retire in Italy (I’m also considering it, since both my wife and I are dual citizens so without major immigration impediments), be aware of the very high income tax rates prevalent in Europe, including Italy. If you are a non EU citizen retiring in Italy, Italy has bilateral agreements with several countries to avoid double taxation. That treaty requires that if resident in Italy for over 183 days a year you must pay income taxes on all your global income to Italy. Taxes on your pension distributions and private pensions will be paid to Italy. Italian tax rates are much higher than in countries like the US (35% for incomes over 28,000€ and 43% for incomes over 50,000€), although I don’t know if Australia’s are similar, however Italy gives a tax break for 9 years to foreign retirees who retire in Southern regions (including Puglia) provided they choose to retire in a Municipality (“Comune” in Italian) with less than 20,000 population. So look into those smaller towns.

If you are a retiree who is not a citizen of the EU you will need to apply for the Elective Residency visa. Information from my Italian Consulate (San Francisco)) website is below. You should be able to find a similar document in the website of the Italian Consulate close to you.

https://conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/ELECTIVE-RESIDENCY-VISAS-SF-Consulate.pdf

Posted by
4 posts

Ciao Roberto
Thank you for the update and information, especially about last summer's temperatures.
We are from Australia, north of Sydney on the beach, and have been debating between Puglia, Sicily, Calabria, and Umbria for retiring.
I have been researching the Retirement Visa required and understand the process involved, however, we think we shall engage a professional to assist in doing the necessary paperwork. We plan to move after July 2025, but would like to purchase a property prior to then.
Definitely, be hiring a car and have happily driven numerous times in Italy.
So basically, going over for a quick look around in Puglia to see what area might take our fancy and naturally to chat to real estate agents and locals. I am afraid my husband does not tolerate cold weather as we travel several times a year to Bali.
And, thank you for suggesting a hotel with a pool, more than happy to pay the extra, any suggestions?
Ciao

Posted by
363 posts

@ Akeeble

Spent the last week in Puglia, at a converted Trulli farmhouse. From our time there I would compare the climate to southern West Australia. I felt at home. Absolutely enjoyable and had many fun times.

Have never been to Italy in northern summer. June through August is Bali, or Queenstown NZ. Ashes every four years.

I have no doubt you will find something to your taste. Try spending as long as possible in Italy in the next year or so. I do not think I would enjoy living in or close to the tourist magnet centres. Nice to visit, but that is all.

Close quarters driving is learnable and fun. I just play in my mind and remember Bob Hudson’s Newcastle song and “never let a chance go by.”

Broadly the Italian personal tax scales are similar to ours. You should/must talk to your CPA or preferably a CA regarding this and other matters. As you probably know, Australia has unique RHCA with many European countries like Italy. As a result of the post WW2 diaspora migration from the Adriatic and Aegean area, Australia has unique taxation and other agreements with many countries, in part to accommodate seniors who wished to return to the home of their birth.

Some tricky issues if you have SMSF, not so many if you have contributed to an employer or retail fund. Personal taxation issues can be arranged to suit your needs.

So please seek professional advice for both financial and legal affairs. Have seen people come unstuck and felt helpless as I could not reverse many of their decisions. Especially if they have children/grandchildren in Australia.

My youngest daughter and husband live in Berowra. Big move leaving Monaco style living and one of the best climatic regions in Australia for Puglia. Sydney, a wonderful city and for which may people would give their right eye and kidney to retire to where you now live. Your choice.

Regards Ron

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Ron
Thank you for your insight.
Firstly, we are not giving up our home in Australia, so always able to come back whenever that may eventuate. As you mentioned we have children and 8 grandchildren in Australia, but everyone travels and is used to being very global. I can imagine molto visitors......:)
I have travelled many times to Italy over the last four decades, but never ventured to the Adriatic Coast region. And it appears to be taking off and affordable, plus a great base to other regions.
Ciao

Posted by
280 posts

Let me suggest something that you may not have yet considered ... an e-bike tour as a great way to spend some of your time in Puglia ... perhaps one of your two weeks in Puglia.

We just did this in April ... "8 days," i.e. 7 nights with 6 days of e-biking. We took in all the places Robert da Firenze mentioned and then some. The company (we used Puglia Cycle Tours) provides the bikes, reserves the hotels (4 star) and transfers the luggage for an very affordable price. 3100 Euros for 7 nights for 2 of us; we added 3 extra nights of hotels and the total came in at around 3400 - 3500 (10 nights, with 6-1/2 days with the e-bikes; regular bikes are a little less expensive.). https://www.pugliacycletours.com

They have many different offerings, both guided and self-guided. Our selection, self-guided Giro di Puglia 8 days, started in Alberobello and included a loop ride (Day 2) that took in Martina Franca and Locorotondo. From there then we went on to Monopoli via Polignano a Mare (Day 3). From Monopoli we biked to Ostuni (Day 4). After Ostuni, a short ride, then the train to Lecce and we continued biking to a town called Martano (Day 5). From there, we biked to Otranto (Day 6). From Otranto, to Lecce (Day 7). That will allow you to see a lot of countryside and lovely towns, all very close to the ground, past farms, through other small towns and along the coast. Perhaps 3 to 3-1/2 hours cycling per day which allows a couple of hours for lunch stops along the way, plus some afternoon and evening time in the next town/city.

Puglia is pretty flat, all-in-all and the e-bikes level the hills.

For more about this, go to the Puglia Cycle website (link is above) and my trip report: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/southern-italy-30-days-three-ways-to-travel