Please sign in to post.

One day in Venice…

We are taking a cruise in November that originates out of Trieste port but we fly into Marco Polo airport. We’ve decided to take basically a day and a half in Venice (arriving on 10/30/24 in the late AM then heading to Trieste port sometime the morning of 11/1/24). We are staying in an apartment about .5 mile from St. Mark’s square. What should we absolutely do (or absolutely avoid) while there? We are 6 “older” adults (mostly 70’s) with some stamina but need low-key, easy-to-do ideas that don’t require too much energy. Any reasonable ideas are welcome. Is it worth it to try and see Murano/Burano with the limited time we have or should we just stick to sights in the area we’re staying? Also any places to eat that we should try (or not try). Many thanks!!

Posted by
966 posts

With only one day - stay in Venice! It's one of our favorite towns all of Europe and one day won't nearly be enough.

Get a vaporetto pass, put the Rick Steves free app on your phone = there is a great canal cruise tour on the app -- get on and go all the way around the canal - he talks to you about what you'll see - it is very good. Def cruise the whole canal.

Spend time at St. Mark's Square - it will be packed, but it's a classic thing to see.

Have a coffee at the oldest coffee shop in Europe.

Get the Rick Steves POCKET Guidebook -- right now it is cheaper on Amazon than on this site - it teaches you about the Vaporetto and the highlights not to miss.

I'd go inside St. Marks, but many never do.

Have you thought of hiring a guide for the day to see the highlights like St. Marks, the Bridge of Sighs, The Jewish Ghetto, The Rialto Bridge? It's a great way to see and learn a lot without getting lost. I have a great one if you're interested.
Venice is a great town to explore on foot, but the Vaporetto is a great way to see the whole area.

Posted by
5002 posts

I'd avoid St Mark's Square, and just wander the back canals, especially on your first day. Then depending on how you feel, go out to Murano for half a day on your second day. Folks may disagree, but I wouldn't do the museums and so much standing on such a short trip. Just relax and explore. Safe travels!

Posted by
4988 posts

Is it worth it to try and see Murano/Burano with the limited time we have...

In my opinion, no. I love Murano and Burano, but going there will consume at least three quarters of a day. Just get the RS Guide book and wander. Don't worry about getting lost. You're on an island. If the crowds become too much, just walk in a direction where there are fewer people. Soon you find youselves on some back street where you'll see the real Venice.

Eating. In the Rialto Bridge area consider Trattoria Da Marco Valla Fava on Calle Stagneri. It is a bit on the pricey side, so you might want to do lunch rather than dinner. Some of the best sea food ever!! Try to eat inside rather than outside. The place has been around at least 50 years so they must be doing it right.

Also in the Rialto area ( but on the other side of the Grand Canal) when walking to Piazzale Roma is an out of the way place named Pane Vino e San Daniele on Calle Dei Boteri. Definitely a hole in the wall local place, good food, good house wine, and not expensive at all.

Many canal side places are overpriced and under quality. There is an exception. You might want to try Trattoria Da Giorgia ai Greci. It is very close to San Marco, but well away from the crowds. A wee bit pricey, but not out of sight prices, and the food is really great.

Posted by
15412 posts

Although San Marco square will be likely crowded with tourists, I don’t know how one could skip it on the first trip to Venice. It would be like going to New York and totally skip Times Square, or going to Pisa and skip seeing the leaning tower. Who does that?

Just Google “Venice what to see” and a bunch of hits will pop up with Venice’s main sights. You can actually cover a lot of things in the time you have, however visiting Murano and Burano will take away the best part of a day, especially Burano which is farther to reach. If you go one day earlier and have an extra night, then you can squeeze those islands too.

Posted by
2463 posts

See St. Mark’s church and possibly the Doge’s Palace. Go to Murano. Ride a gondola. Take the vaporetto from the train station to St. Mark’s. If you feel like it, take a peek in any church you pass

Posted by
244 posts

I think you should definitely make plans to visit St. Mark’s square. It might be crowded but it is iconic and worthwhile. I would also visit the Rialto Bridge. Then I would consider wandering.

Taking a vaporetto along the Grand Canal is an option as is seeing the Doge Palace (might want to plan to go when by St. Mark’s), taking a gondola ride, visiting the Accademia if you like art, picking a few churches to enter.

Posted by
1245 posts

Total transit from Venice to Murano and Burano and return is probably 4+ hours. So this trip, give that a miss.

Posted by
329 posts

With 1.5 days, I would definitely go to St. Mark’s Square and would definitely skip Murano and Burano. I would only visit 2 or 3 attractions and spend the rest of the time walking around. I would go to St. Mark's Basilica (including the upstairs ticket) and San Giorgio Maggiore (including bell tower).

Maybe visit the Doge's Palace or the Accademia. The Doge’s Palace takes maybe up to 3 hours so maybe you don’t have time for it. Accademia is smaller, takes maybe 1.5 hours and is a great art museum.

Churches such as the Frari Church, Santa Maria della Salute, Saint Mary of Miracles and Santi Giovanni e Paolo are quick visits and are worht a few minutes each.

Posted by
887 posts

St. Mark’s and the Doges Palace are side by side, and if you can book entry times for both you won’t have to wait in a long line. It only took me an hour and a half for Doge’s, but I didn’t do the secret itinerary tour, I just went in on my own. I would also recommend a day pass for the vaporetto so you can cruise the grand canal, both during the day, and after dark when all the lights are on. I Absolutely love Murano and all the glass shops. You can get there fairly quickly if you catch the vaporetto from the Fondmenta Novo stop (when looking at a map of Venice, it’s on the top of the ‘fish’) as it’s only two stops from there. But, I would only go if you really want to use up a couple hours to peruse the shops. Burano is too far out for the limited time you have. The Acedemia Gallery opens early, around 0830, and last time I was there I showed up without a reservation and there were only half a dozen people there, so if you get an early start it won’t be too busy and you will get through quicker ( check the hours for Nov). Also check the hours on the Doge’s palace as I think it is sometimes open until 8pm(but maybe not in Nov.). Follow the Rick Steve’s walking tour and pop into the Frari church and follow that audio guide, also. So, I think you can maximize your time if you get an early start, and make reservations for the busy sights.

Posted by
145 posts

I agree with the advice to put Rick Steves app on your phone and do the canal tour.
and before you go, listen to the other Venice talks on the app.