Please sign in to post.

Off we go!

Here we sit at Billy Bishop Airport. Our first time flying from there. Very civilized.

We are flying from here to EWR for one night, embarking a Transatlantic cruise (ports are Madeira, La Coruna, Le Havre), disembark in Southampton, then seven nights in Liverpool, then three nights in Iceland.

I need this holiday. My father went into the hospital on February 27th and passed on March 25th. My mom isn't with the digital age so I've had to do everything. And now she calls me round the clock.

Happy travels to all!!

Posted by
1798 posts

Have a great trip Andrea!

Hope it is restorative and healing :)

Posted by
14042 posts

Oh yes...it sounds like you need this respite a LOT! Enjoy your cruise and your time in England and Iceland. Start writing your Trip Report tonight, lolol!!

Condolences on the loss of your Dad. Hopefully you've got siblings who can step into the breech with your Mom while you try to regain some sanity and remember who Andrea is.

Posted by
2334 posts

I was flying to Vesterålen and Lofoten islands (Norway) for a week in September 2016 when my father passed away. Even the weather was rainy and intensively the place gave me the chance to reflect and re-adjust. In the last night I had luck and saw Northern Lights - and not only because to the near death of my father I could understand why people in earlier times thought that NL are a visit of their ancestors.

All the best for you and have a good time.

Posted by
4675 posts

Andrea, I'm sorry about your father. I am glad you are able to take your trip and hope your mom has the support she needs while you are gone. Enjoy!

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey Andrea
happy travels to "we". have fun where you are going. we did a transatlantic cruise the other way "rome to fort lauderdale" and loved it.
loved my at sea days, relaxing, in the pool & hot tub, sitting people watching, spending time enjoying meals with no hurry.
we did a stop at madeira (one of my favorites), it's gorgeous. shared a private taxi tour with couple cruisers we met on cruise critic.
i feel for you needing this getaway, been there done that. headed out in a few days to hawaii to help my family for 5-6 weeks to take care of sibling, give them a break. doing last minute "chores & packing" and off i go.
i was just there in september for a month, then now and again in october so the gang can take a much needed vacation. I'm retired to be able to do all this. we just think about the bright side and enjoy your time away.
aloha

Posted by
1570 posts

Thank you all for you kind comments.

Passport control took longer than the flight. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by
32220 posts

Andrea,

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's passing.

Your holiday sounds wonderful and I hope it's everything you've imagined. Have a great time!

Posted by
32909 posts

Andrea, so sorry to hear of your father's passing, and now of course your mother's grief and being a fish out of water. I am sure it is incredibly hard for you, and arranging for mom and then getting this trip will be good medicine for you... my thoughts are with you

enjoy the boat

Posted by
10237 posts

So very sorry Andrea. I hope your mom can give you some time now. You knew what you needed, having done several transatlantic crossings. Have a peaceful voyage.

Posted by
2081 posts

I can relate all too well, unfortunately. My mom passed in December and then her services were in January and days after those we headed to Iceland and Amsterdam. It was much needed, but also a bit of a blur. Iceland is my happy place, so I think that helped me a lot. I wish you the absolute best trip!