Please sign in to post.

London to Stonehenge

We are heading back to London from Paris on the Eurostar. We would like to travel to Stonehenge for a day or two. What is the best way to get there? We don't think we want to take a tour bus since they seem to be just there and back and not a lot of time for exploring the area. Also, I saw a place to stay in Salisbury. Is that the closest area to stay in?

Posted by
16397 posts

Salisbury is the closest town with train service, and one of my favorites in the U.K.

I would take the train—-direct trains from Waterloo Station to Salisbury take 1.5 hours. You can use the Tube to transfer from St. Pancras, where your Eurostar arrives, to Waterloo.

Use this National Rail website to see the schedule, and buy your tickets ahead if you like.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Posted by
14049 posts

And once you are in Salisbury it's really easy to take the shuttle out to the stones. It's run by the local bus company, Salisbury Reds and has a couple of pick up spots in the city including the train station. It is called The Stonehenge Tour but it really isn't a tour per se...just a ride out to the stones and back on whatever return shuttle you want which also stops at Old Sarum.

Do try and get to Salisbury Cathedral for evensong and the Salisbury Museum located on the Cathedral Close is quite good too. There are some walking routes thru the water meadows with views that John Constable painted often.

I've stayed in Salisbury several times and it's one of my favorite locations! What hotel caught your eye? I've stayed in several.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much for the information! I am having trouble finding a hotel or Airbnb. There are 5 of us which is always difficult to find a room for so end up with either two rooms or someone on a couch which is fine but I'm having trouble finding that. Do you have a recommendation for a place to stay near the stones? I suppose I may be out of luck because we are going for the solstice!

Posted by
14049 posts

I've only stayed in Salisbury which is probably going to put you in the 2-rooms situation. I've stayed at the Rose and Crown Hotel on a Rick Steves tour and stayed at the Mercure White Hart for a week on a Road Scholar tour. The B&B I also stayed at a number of times has closed as the owners retired.

I've gone into the courtyard of the Red Lion which is a 13 century coaching inn and may consider staying there next time I go to Salisbury.

Posted by
6008 posts
Posted by
16397 posts

I am surprised to see so much still available for the solstice. Most places will put you in 3 double rooms (no triples) but for Thursday night the price is still not bad. Friday and Saturday nights appear higher. But you have to expect that for an event like the Solstice at Stonehenge.

You should explore the options for getting to the stones and make a reservation if you can. I would expect it is going to be very busy.