Please sign in to post.

Belgium and Netherlands

Hi, My family and I plan to travel to Belgium and Netherlands. The following is Itinerary

25-28 May Brussels
28-30 May Bruges
30-31 May Antwerp
31 May-4 June Amsterdam

We have booked our hotels. Just wanted to check should we book our train tickets or it is better to take on that day, am checking as we are family of 9 travelling including 2 senior citizens.
Also wanted to check on museums/sites, how to book our tickets in advance , do we have some kind of city pass in these places.

Posted by
1360 posts

Without more details your questions are difficult to answer. In general, trains in the Netherlands and Belgium are mass transit. Trains have free seating and your ticket is valid on all trains from A to B on the day mentioned on your ticket.
Belgium has a very attractive senior citizen discount and other discounts. See their website for details and for schedules etc https://www.belgiantrain.be/en
The Dutch national railway company has a group ticket, but whether it’s worth it depends on what train trips you plan to take.
See their website https://www.ns.nl/en

The major museums in Amsterdam need to be booked well in advance. You’re already too late for the Anne Frank house. Each museum has a website that has all the details.

Posted by
2424 posts

So you're in Belgium from May 25th - May 31st. Which city are you planning to visit on the 25th-28th?

Posted by
360 posts

For train from Antwerp to Amsterdam, there is an "early bird" option for a lower price if you book at least 3 days in advance. However, the cheaper tickets might be sold out if you wait until just 3 days in advance. You would need to read the details on the SNCB international site.

In case you are interested in seeing the Ghent Alterpiece (In Ghent) which could be a daytrip from Bruges, Brussels or Antwerp. it would be best to reserve online in advance.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for your answers.

Edited my question first we go to brussels

Actually we fly in to brussels on 25 and fly out from Amsterdam on 4.
To be more elaborate regarding trains my query is whether there is a lot of price variation if we book the train tickets in advance or we go on the spot buy tickets. As we have senior citizens and kids we wanted to be flexible with our travel. Also we will have luggage to carry.

Will definitely look at the links recommended links.

Regarding the museum, I just checked that Anne Frank Museum shows sold out but I can check the coming Tuesday regarding some availability. We will try to book Museums in Amsterdam in advance.